Without going too much into detail, a router is a physicall devices that join multiple wired or wireless networks together (like a electricity adapter (where it uses many lead to connect and still only uses one main powerpoint)
Advantages of Wireless Routers are:
1. Wireless routers are equipped with modems, network switch (a device that has multiple connection ports for connecting computers and other network devices) and a wireless access points.
2. Wireless Router can be connected to / from anywhere in your immediate environment or house. That means you can log on and surf the Internet from anywhere around your surrounding.
3. Some of the wireless routers are equipped with a built in firewall to ward of intruders. The configuration options of the firewall are an important consideration when buying a router. Buying a wireless router with good firewall configuration options can be helpful for security and privacy.
4. The broadband router wireless VoIP technology is a technology that enables you to can connect to the Internet, using any ordinary phone device. You can then make calls to anybody in the world via your Internet connection. Wireless router provides strong encryption (WPA or AES) and features the filters MAC address and control over SSID authentication.
1. The wireless connection will be slightly slower than the wired connection. Simply put, wireless or WI-FI transmits through the air and can be blocked interfered with by other waves from the surrounding.
2. Security is one of the main concern when it comes to networking generally, wired network provides for more regid security to wireless. This means that all of your private data stored in your laptop or PDA could be exposed to anyone in the same vicinity. It’s possible that an dishonest person could obtain passwords and important personal information easily from wireless networks if not properly configured.
3. There is a large congestion of WI-FI, especially in the cities where you have a large population of stores and big organisations that transmits over the same channel, causing much interference.
Theses are some of the known advantages/disadvantages of having a wireless network, just consider these factors before setting up a wireless network.