What is Write-up harvest Technology?
Write-up harvest technology entails in harvesting, managing, storing, shifting the create to decrease losses and to continue to keep them fresh new up to the market place.
It can be of utmost vital to keep the freshness or to limit the deterioration of products from harvesting, advertising and marketing and to the time they are eaten.
The enhance in vegetable and fruit output do not assure adequate offer of fantastic good quality merchandise for client to try to eat and the grower to sell, thanks to article harvest losses.
The share losses in vegetable output is from 28 – forty two% of the yearly output ( underneath Philippine affliction) thanks to deficiency of article harvest amenities and technology.
This is because the Philippines is still lagging at the rear of in article harvest technologies as as opposed to the developed nations.
Brings about of Write-up harvest losses
1) Technological – Write-up harvest losses covers the pursuing causes…
- Decay or rotting – Vegetable simply decay or rot when not adequately managed, in particular the leafy ones. Fruits previous a tiny for a longer period but they simply rot as nicely.
- Yellowing – Yellowing generally takes place to leafy veggies. For fruits yellowing is a indicator of ripening and later on decay.
- Wilting – This is typical to leafy veggies.
- Softening – Softening is generally common to fruits and some leafy crops.
- Sprouting – Some root veggies when stored for a longer period tends to sprout (e.g. carrots, potato, sweet potato, onion, garlic, etc.)
two) Non-technological – Write-up harvest losses generally takes place when there is deficiency in transportation and storage amenities producing the hold off of the harvested products.
Non-technological losses covers the pursuing factors…
- Transportation – Absence of transportation is just one aspect that brings about article harvest losses. In advance of you venture into vegetable output you really should give this very vital tools in your precedence list.
- Storage – Storage amenities performs a crucial purpose for a results in vegetable endeavor. If transportation amenities is crucial, storage space is also vital. In simple fact, if I am to decide, I would put this aspect as my quantity just one precedence.
- Adverse climate affliction – Changing climate affliction greatly has an effect on your cropping pattern. Analyze the affliction in your space, what distinct crop or crops that thrives greatest to a distinct climate affliction.
- Inefficiency of distribution – If your distribution channel is inefficient crop destruction will be intense. Hence, make your tactic possible so that your merchandise could arrive at to the buyers fresh new.
- Absence of market place need – Contemplate surveying the market place if the crop you will plant is wanted or in need. This is just one aspect that brings about crop losses because no one purchases your merchandise.
three) Physiological destruction – Crop destruction is brought about thanks to variations in texture, taste and aroma.
4) Mechanical destruction – Crop losses thanks to rough and careless choosing, packing, loading or unloading. The destruction possibly in the sort of cuts, punctures, cracks, splits, variations in varieties and condition or partial or completely separation of the outer masking.
5) Insect destruction – Damages brought about by insect takes place at storage or specifically in the industry prior to harvest. You have to command immediately those insect identified in the industry prior to harvesting or in your storage space. Your storage area really should be disinfected prior to putting your harvested products.
Basis of Write-up harvest Technological know-how
1) Greens are perishable in nature – Although they’re currently harvested and not in the soil anymore, they’re still residing issue. They still undertake all the biological procedures connected with life.
When harvested, the ingestion of electricity via respiration and manufacture food items via photosynthetic method is cut and you can find no alternative for the misplaced reserves.
The more quickly it respires, the more quickly it rots. Higher stored food items delayed rotting.
Greens has 80 – 95 drinking water. This is misplaced to the ambiance via transpiration in particular throughout dry and very hot months.
two) Differences in Morphology, Structure and Chemical Composition
The variations is dependent on what morphological parts the vegetable is…
- Leafy vegetable – The leaves wilt and flip yellow.
- Fruit veggies – Ripens sooner or later turn into over ripe.
- Flower veggies – The bouquets opens.
- Modified stem – Produces new buds and sprouts.
Alterations on structural differences of just about every morphological parts…
- Leafy veggies – Have bigger and a lot more stomata on upper and lessen surface, as a result have more quickly respiration and transpiration.
- Fruits, roots, tubers, and bulbs – Have reserve surface areas and number of or no stomata but have number of lenticels.
three) Reaction of Greens to Ecosystem – Respiration and transpiration of vegetable variations in reaction to the environment…
- Temperature – The most significant environmental factors that influences the deterioration price of veggies. Lessen in temperature decreases respiration, transpirations, microbial things to do and insect expansion.
- Relative humidity – The ratio or written content of drinking water vapor in the air.
- Gases in the ambiance – Best written content of air is 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, and .03% Carbon dioxide.
- Microorganisms and bugs – Greens serves as food items for microorganisms and bugs. The a lot more we continue to keep away veggies from them, the for a longer period we can continue to keep veggies.
How to Decrease Vegetable Losses
1) Begin with fantastic good quality seeds or planting elements – You have to appear into the features of your stock in relation to its measurement, condition, coloration, texture, excess weight and nutrient written content.
- Impact of Environmental Problem – The good quality of your vegetable at or right after harvest is impacted by temperature, mild, rainfall and other environmental factors.
- Consequences of Cultural Management – You really should begin your industry planning just proper. This involves seedbed planning along with drinking water administration, weeding, fertilization, command of pests and illnesses. If you neglect these cultural administration techniques, the good quality of your merchandise will be greatly impacted.
two) Steer clear of Actual physical Harm – Actual physical damages starts off throughout harvesting up to sorting, cleansing, transport from the industry to the storage space and down to the market place.
Strictly stick to the proper approach of managing your merchandise to keep away from actual physical destruction at major stage.
three) Control Environmental Things – Employing minimal temperature (Refrigerator) throughout transport or storage and application of chemical to command article harvest decay is just one tactic to keep away from crop destruction.
You can apply the pursuing strategies…
- Temperature administration – Steer clear of large temperature to lengthen the life span of your veggies.
The use of refrigerator is the most effective way of reducing temperature.
In the absence of Refrigerated amenities, you can apply the pursuing methods to limit crop losses…
1) Harvest as early or as late in the day as achievable.
two) Steer clear of exposing veggies to direct sunlight at anytime.
three) Place adequate air flow throughout transport.
4) Use white colored canvass for masking veggies.
5) Travel as early or at night if achievable.
- Relative Humidity Management – You have to enhance the relative humidity to eighty five%.
Procedures of raising Relative Humidity…
1) Soaked the floor of the space in which veggies are held.
two) Introduce a wonderful mist of drinking water or steam into the ventilating fan.
three) In a little area continue to keep open containers loaded with drinking water.
4) Use evaporative cooling method.
- Control of Gases in the Ecosystem – Lessen in oxygen and enhance in carbon dioxide helps make transport and storage in minimal temperature. The use of polyethylene bag lets the accumulation of carbon dioxide and depletion of oxygen within the bag with number of holes to permit air flow. Ethylene use really should be averted other than in which ripening of fruits is involved.
How to Steer clear of Ethylene Outcome
- Guarantee fantastic air flow to dilute the concentration of ethylene – Air flow is crucial throughout storage and transport so that ethylene accumulation can be averted.
- You should not shop ripening fruits with fresh new veggies in the very same area – Independent fruit veggies from the leafy ones. Ethylene is for ripening needs only. If it would merge with leafy veggies the leaves results in being yellowish – not anymore fantastic or market place.
- Correct managing throughout transport and storage really should be practiced at all periods – Correct managing usually means,you really should apply the proper storage and transport process to insure that the veggies are safe and cost-free from any destruction.
- Type products and independent diseased and injured veggies – It is vital that you really should independent the diseased and injured products. Kinds they’re not sorted, the inclination is the distribute of the illnesses would impact the other that are in fantastic situations. Steer clear of keeping veggies in enclosed areas in which there is smoke – You have to do away your products in enclosed areas in which you can find no air flow in particular when you can find smoke all around the space – this will impact the good quality of the products.
How to Decrease Microorganisms Multiplication
- Make the container, automobile, area cleanse prior to putting the products – This is self explanatory, cleanse surroundings is generally the excellent put for storing everything.
- Deal with veggies carefully to keep away from injuries – Cautiously tackle your products with treatment to keep away from crop injuries. Hurt areas are the ones in which germs or virus enters which may well result in the deterioration of the products.
- Steer clear of very hot and moist affliction – Hot and moist affliction attracts some fatal microorganisms which is there ideal put to stay and multiply. You really should make certain that the space is dry and there is a cost-free circulation of air all all around.
- Type the products and independent diseased veggies – As I discussed in quantity 4 above, you have to independent the diseased and injured products to keep away from contamination to the other crops that are fantastic.
- If veggies are probable to be disinfected, use Alum or Lime – If you happen to be to shop or transport your products, it truly is greatest to disinfect them with Alum or Lime to lengthen their life span. This is generally applicable to leafy veggies in which their shelf-life is only limited.
- Overcome root and bulb crops prior to storage and transport up to 20 – 35 °C – Curing your products increases their shelf-life in particular when you shop them for a for a longer period time or transporting in a long length.
Cris Ramasasa, Freelance writer, writes about residence gardening and Internet advertising and marketing suggestions. You can get a duplicate of his most up-to-date book “How to get started off in FlowerGardening”and “Vegetable Gardening created Effortless” and tons of suggestions, Absolutely free articles or blog posts, and bonuses at: www.crisramasasa.com